Thursday, January 17, 2013

Spring, Sprang, Sprung?

After an admittedly lazy holiday break (I read a dozen books--it was glorious!), I am back in the classroom.  I am teaching only four courses this semester.  Wait, go back and read that again.  Yes--that's right, only four courses!  It's just so exhilarating!  Before you start to wonder what I'll be doing with all my free time, I ought also to announce that I have been accepted to the University of Birmingham (UK)'s full-time, distance learning PhD program in English Literature and Creative Writing.  I begin my doctoral studies this week!

Now, back to the teaching side of my life.

This semester's courses include two sections of ENG 120: Composition, one section of ENG 201: Research & Applied Writing, and one section of ENG 262: World Lit. II (Poetry & Drama).  One of my ENG 120 sections will read The Hunger Games and the other will read Ender's Game (assuming the post office does not lose yet a second order of 25 copies of the novel!).  My one section of ENG 120 in the Fall absolutely loved reading The Hunger Games (and subsequently, watching Jennifer Lawrence rock the screen as Katniss) and pitched a fit when I wondered aloud if I should choose a different book for my Spring sections.  I listened.

Unfortunately, the silver screen debut of Ender's Game is not until November this year (whomp, whomp, whoooooomp...), so I'm not sure what I'll do during the week I will show the other class the film of The Hunger Games--I may just show the movie in both classes.  After all, the novels have similar themes: the use of children by adults, war, ethical and moral struggles, etc. 

I will do my best to post weekly updates...but if I don't, it's only because time will again have gotten away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment