Thursday, March 29, 2012

Not Quite Composition

I am teaching Hamlet in my ENG 262: World Lit. II (Poetry & Drama) course right now. We are in Act II, and while looking for "modern English-friendly" resources for my students, I stumbled upon this hilarious re-working of the play.

I also found a few riotous Youtube videos on Hamlet, but they are mostly funny because I know the play and love Shakespeare, so I will only be sharing one or two with my students.

My department chair is sitting in on my ENG 262 class today, so rather than watching a handsome young Mel Gibson terrorize poor Ophelia half-naked (II. i. 75-98), I'm putting together a small-group activity focusing on imagery and themes in the play.

I'm going to assign a theme to each pair of students (I have 11 in the class) and ask them to find a line in Act II that uses imagery to support the theme. I found a suggestion from a high school teacher to have students write poems using the lines as a starting point, but I doubt that we will have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment